Bachelor of Business, majoring in Accounting
JCU’s Bachelor of Business (B Bus) provides the solid foundations needed for a prosperous business career in a modern organisation. Upon graduating, students can apply the problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are valued in today’s business world. The Bachelor of Business is JCU Brisbane’s most flexible degree. Once the foundation is set with the core business subjects, students are then able to construct a personalised business degree to suit their chosen profession.
Accounting is at the core of every organisation, ensuring its financial viability. JCU has trained hundreds of qualified accountants and is strongly supported by the local accounting profession. Foundation subjects are complemented by specialist topics in; business modelling, financial management, auditing, law of business organisations, taxation, contemporary issues in accounting, performance management and control. JCU’s record of employability for accounting students is the second best result in Australia with only 15% of graduates still looking for full time work (Graduate Careers Australia).
JCU B Bus students are employer preferred for their ability to communicate professionally, make ethical business decisions and work in a global environment. With our focus on work integrated learning, a JCU B Bus degree will develop a student’s personal and professional skills.
The Leading To Work Program is a feature of the Bachelor of Business course at JCU Brisbane.
CRICOS Code 026830C
The Bachelor of Business comprises of 24 subjects in total. Students must nominate one of the Business Majors available when first making application for admission.
The program of 24 subjects is made up of:
- Core [Eight (8) subjects] +
- Major [Eight (8) subjects] +
- Electives [Eight (8) subjects], with the exception of Bachelor of Business (Accounting).
- BU1002 Accounting for Decision Making
- BU1003 Economics for Sustainable Business
- BU1007 Business Data Analysis and Interpretation
- BU1104 Business, Environment and Society in the Tropics
- BU1105 Contemporary Business Communications
- BU1108 Managing Consumer Markets
- BU1112 Business Law
- BU3101 Professional Internship
- BU3102 Multi-Disciplinary Project
- BU3103 Independent Project
Accounting Major Subjects
- BX2011 Accounting Principles and Systems
- BX2012 Cost and Management Accounting
- BX2014 Financial Management
- BX2016 Business Modelling
- BX3011 Company Accounting
- BX3012 Contemporary Issues in Accounting
- BX3013 Performance Management and Control
- BX3014 Auditing
To fulfill the requirements of the Bachelor of Business (Accounting) and to be eligible for accreditation with Certified Practicing Accountants Australia (CPA Australia), Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) and Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), students must complete the following subjects in addition to the units comprising the major:
- BX2019 Business InformationSystems
- BX2112 Law of Business Organisations
- BX3112 Taxation
This imposes constraints on students who select Accounting as their primary major. Those students will be unable to select a second major.
Standard Trimester: 8 (2.5 Years)
Subject Total: 24
Fee per Subject (2019): $3,675
Total Course Fee (2019): $88,200
Fee per Subject (2020): $3,800
Total Course Fee (2020): $91,200
When graduating from JCU Brisbane with a B Bus, students will be exposed to an exciting career scope. As a B Bus graduate, you will be prepared to work in a variety of settings – from small business and community organisations to multinational companies and large scale industries.
Potential Career Options
- Foreign affairs and trade
- International and regional operations
- Import and export
- International marketing and sales
- Federal and State Government Departments
- Not-for-profit organisations
- Business consultancies
- Small and medium-sized enterprises
- Your own business