Master of International Hospitality & Tourism Management – Master of Business Administration (MITHM-MBA)
The Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management – Master of Business Administration is an innovative joint postgraduate level qualification that combines tourism, hospitality and business management to give students the management skills required to be a professional in the tourism and hospitality industry.
It provides graduates from a range of disciplines with the skills needed to sustainably manage tourism products, resources, and infrastructure.
Coursework subjects are diverse and include areas such as tourism analysis and strategy, tourism systems analysis, hospitality and gastronomy, global destination competitiveness, economic decision making in hospitality, tourist behaviour, sustainability and marketing.
CRICOS Code 063678K
The MITHM-MBA is made up of 16 subjects. Students must undertake seven (7) tourism subjects, eight (8) management subjects and one (1) optional subject as per the list below.
- LB5203 Sustainable Enterprise
- LB5228 The Changing Business Environment
- LB5230 Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
- LB5231 Corporate Responsibility and Governance
- LB5232 Marketing, Customer Engagement, Social Media and Marketing
- LB5233 Strategic and Responsible Innovation Management
- LB5234 Leading and Managing Organisational Change
- LB5235 Practical or Research Project
- TO5002 Introduction to Tourism and the Environment
- TO5101 Tourism Systems Analysis
- TO5102 Tourism and Hospitality Operations Management
- TO5103 Global Destination Competitiveness
- TO5104 Tourist Management Strategies
- TO5202 Economic Decision- Making in the Hospitality Industry
- LB5229 Economics for a Sustainable World
- TO5203 Hospitality and Gastronomy: Social, Private and Commercial
Select any one (1) level 5 LB subject (subject to prerequisite constraints).
Standard Trimester: 6 (2 Years)
Subject Total: 16
Fee per Subject (2019): $3,900
Total Course Fee (2019): $62,400
Fee per Subject (2020): $4,090
Total Course Fee (2020): $65,440
Academic Entry Requirements
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree in a business* or tourism related discipline from this or another University; or practical experience recognised by the Dean.
*Business disciplines: Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Management, Commerce, HRM, Economics, Tourism and Hospitality, or other disciplines where students will have completed study relating to organisational behaviour, business, strategy, marketing, economics, communication and people management.
National policy changes as part of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) mean that all master level programs will need to be of two years duration where a student does not have an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline. Students with an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline will be eligible to complete a 1.5 year master degree.
For JCU, duration of two years is equivalent to 16 subjects. At present most of the business masters by coursework programs are 12 subjects (1.5 years of full time study)
Following a 3 year Level 7 qualification in a non-cognate discipline, master degree must be 2 years in duration. If the Level 7 qualification is in the same discipline area they may be 1.5 years.
Potential Career Options
- Café Manager
- Restaurant Manager
- Conference and Event Coordinator
- Duty Manager
- Travel Agent/Consultant
- Venue Manager
- Hotel Front Office Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Functions Supervisor