Master of Education – Master of Business Administration (MEd/MBA) program is for career enhancement and to develop strong educational management capabilities. Students entering with a Business, Management or Education/training background will be able to enhance their knowledge and skills to perform leadership roles relevant to education.
Students in this program will learn contemporary approaches to leadership within education and managerial environments. A global approach will enhance students’ capacity to function effectively in diverse professional situations. Students will have important opportunities to engage in research action activities as well as a capstone major project. There is also an opportunity for participation in an internship with a professional organisation.
CRICOS Code 096264D
The MEd / MBA program is made up of 16 Subjects. Students will undertake nine (9) core subjects and select four (4) subjects from a specified ED level 5 subject from List 1 and a further three (3) subjects from the specified List two.
- ED5880:03 Educational Leadership
- ED5911:03 Education for Sustainability
- ED5914:03 Individual Researched Action Project
- ED5190:03 Introduction to Educational Research
- LB5235:03 Practical or Research Project
- LB5202:03 Marketing Management
- LB5205:03 People in Organisations
- LB5212:03 Accounting and Finance for Managers
- LB5236:03 Comparative Global Business Systems or LB5228:03 The Changing Business Environment
Select 12 credit points (4 Subjects) from List 1
- ED5882:03 Transformative Digital Learning*
- ED5883:03 Global Education*
- ED5912:03 Social Learning Perspectives for a Sustainable Future*
- AN5006:03 Asia Pacific Development: Culture & Globalisation *
- ED5881:03 Leading for Change in Curriculum and Pedagogy
Select 9 credit points (3 Subjects) from List 2
- LB5229:03 Economics for a Sustainable World
- LB5230:03 Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
- LB5231:03 Corporate Responsibility and Governance
- LB5233:03 Innovation and Entrepreneurship
*Successful Completion of these subjects lead to the award of M.ED (Global Context)/MBA (Major)
Please note that this course structure is subject to change without notice.
To develop strong educational management capabilities, eligible MEd/MBA students can elect to participate in a structured internship rotation within the University or elect to do a general administrative internship outside the University.
Standard Trimester: 6 (2 Years)
Subject Total: 16
Fee per Subject (2019): $3,900
Total Course Fee (2019): $62,400
Fee per Subject (2020): $4,090
Total Course Fee (2020): $65,440
Academic Entry Requirements
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree from this or another university; or other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean.
National policy changes as part of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) mean that all master level programs will need to be of two years duration where a student does not have an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline. Students with an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline will be eligible to complete a 1.5 year master degree.
For JCU, duration of two years is equivalent to 16 subjects. At present most of the business masters by coursework programs are 12 subjects (1.5 years of full time study)
Following a 3 year Level 7 qualification in a non-cognate discipline, master degree must be 2 years in duration. If the Level 7 qualification is in the same discipline area they may be 1.5 years.
In an era of increasing independence in School management, this MEd/MBA is designed for Educators who want professional development that includes business administration capabilities. The course will also appeal to students wishing a career in management with a need for understanding teaching and learning paradigms. This will enable professional managers to plan, implement and evaluate training and other professional development programs underpinned by a robust foundation of education concepts.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Management Consultant
- Managing Director
- Operations Manager
- General Manager
- Academic Administrator
Please Note: This program does not lead to eligibility for Teacher Registration in Australia.