Master of Business Administration
James Cook University’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a cutting-edge business degree, re-engineered recently to equip the next generation of emerging managers to succeed in the new world. The JCU MBA will significantly enhance a student’s management and leadership capability, and better equip them to turn global economic challenges into business opportunities in today’s highly competitive global marketplace.
The Master of Business Administration is available as an independent award or can be combined with several joint Master degrees for students seeking to gain a comprehensive education in more than one study area.
CRICOS Code 081127C
Note: This program is no longer being offered to new students, it has been superseded by Master of Business Administration (Leadership).
The MBA is made up of 16 subjects. Students must undertake four (4) specified foundation subjects, eight (8) core subjects, and four (4) optional subjects as per the structure defined below.
- There are no majors in the MBA program offered at James Cook University Brisbane campus.
- Eligible students holding acknowledged cognate qualifications may seek exemption from the four (4) foundation subjects when submitting an application for admission to the program.
- LB5202 Marketing Management
- LB5205 People in Organisations
- LB5212 Accounting and Finance for Managers
- LB5236 Comparative Global Business Systems
- LB5228 The Changing Business Environment
- LB5229 Economics for a Sustainable World
- LB5230 Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
- LB5231 Corporate Responsibility and Governance
- LB5232 Marketing, Customer Engagement, Social Media and Marketing
- LB5233 Strategic and Responsible Innovation Management
- LB5234 Leading and Managing Organisational Change
- LB5235 Practical or Research Project
Select two (2) subjects from an level 5 list
Select two (2) subjects from a level 5 list with a prefix of LB, CO, CP or TO subject to prerequisite constraints.
Standard Trimester: 6 (2 Years)
Subject Total: 16
Fee per Subject (2018): $3,750
Total Course Fee (2018): $60,000
Academic Entry Requirements
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree from this or another university; or other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean.
National policy changes as part of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) mean that all master level programs will need to be of two years duration where a student does not have an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline. Students with an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline will be eligible to complete a 1.5 year master degree.
For JCU, duration of two years is equivalent to 16 subjects. At present most of the business masters by coursework programs are 12 subjects (1.5 years of full time study)
Following a 3 year Level 7 qualification in a non-cognate discipline, master degree must be 2 years in duration. If the Level 7 qualification is in the same discipline area they may be 1.5 years.
An MBA qualiﬁcation lends itself to a variety of careers, and the substantial investment is almost certain to be reﬂected in increased earning potential. MBA candidates graduate with exposure to an array of business areas including; ﬁnance, human resources, operations, economics and marketing. What this means for students is improved career opportunities. Furthermore, an MBA qualiﬁcation equips students with the knowledge and skills required to run their own business.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Management Consultant
- Managing Director
- Operations Manager
- Business Analyst
- General Manager
- Investment Banker
- Financial Manager