Jump start your career – get real industry experience working in an Australian organisation.
Set yourself apart from your peers with on the job training, gaining additional skills and industry experience to complement your degree. Through this unique world class program you can be placed in a professional organisation to work on a real project. Upon completion of your degree, you will have industry experience and a validated referee for your resume giving you an advantage in a competitive employment environment.
The Internship or Practical Research subject requires students to complete 10 weeks of unpaid work experience with a minimum of 200 total hours over the trimester. This equates to approximately 20 hours per week with the host company working on a practical project set by the organisation. This gives you practical experience working in an Australian business environment to complement your theoretical knowledge.
Being part of a corporate team and working together with various business units over the duration of the internship will give you a thorough understanding and invaluable insight into the Australian corporate world – enhancing your career opportunities.
JCU Brisbane recognises that employers highly value professional experience and demonstrable employability skills, this program will give you the advantage.
Only students who demonstrate professional conduct and strong academic results throughout their studies will be considered for the internship program. Ultimately it is the employer who makes the final decision to host a student therefore the students’ professionalism, communication skills and engagement with the process is critical.
The internship program is available for all students who meet the eligibility criteria:
- Ideally have a GPA 5.0 and above (but not a prerequisite)
- Studying no more that 3 subjects in final trimester
- Not a debtor to the university
- No academic misconduct and in good standing
- Undergraduate students undertake an internship in their final year (Subject BU3101 as an elective)
- Master students undertake an internship in their final trimester (as part of subject LB5235)
- For Bachelor students you must be enrolled into the correct subject (BU3101 after approval from the Associate Dean Undergraduate programs)
- For Masters students you must be enrolled in LB5235 and then be selected to participate in an Internship
- All applications are forwarded to the Dean and Associate Dean of the Program for approval
- A student must have no academic misconduct reports
- A student must have strong communication skills in business English
- Attend one of our Internship Information Forums that are run in week 6-7
- Increased skills and knowledge
- Differentiate yourself ahead of your peers with demonstrated work experience within a chosen field
- Greater confidence and enhanced self-esteem
- Increased personal and professional networks
- Access to opportunities that will contribute to personal and professional development
- Understanding of the professional, industrial and social contexts within today’s corporate business environment
- Increase capacity for team work and collaboration
- An ability for critical thinking, analysis and problem solving skills
- Development of organisational and personal management skills