James Cook University (JCU) is the second oldest university in Queensland and Australia’s leading university in the tropics. Offering excellence in teaching and research, JCU is a vibrant, multi-campus university with its main sites in the tropical Queensland cities of Townsville and Cairns, and modern city campuses in Singapore and Brisbane.
JCU is recognised around the world for its expertise in marine biology, environmental studies, tropical health, and tourism. Our professional coursework programs are accredited by industry and professional associations and many professionals are guest lecturers for our postgraduate programs. Over the past five years, JCU academics have won 31 national awards for teaching excellence from the Australian Teaching and Learning Council – more than many larger universities.
- Recently ranked by Times Higher Education (THE) in the ‘Top 15 Universities in Australia’ (Times Higher Education, 2021).
- Ranked in the top 250 universities in the world (Times Higher Education, 2021).
- Notably ranked in the top 30 moden universities in the world (Times Higher Education, 2020)
- First in the world in global partnerships for sustainable development (Times Higher Education, 2020).
- 5 stars for full-time job success (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- 5 Stars for learner engagement (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- 5 Stars for student support (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- JCU is rated “world-class or better” in 38 areas of research (Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
Located in Brisbane’s CBD
Employment and careers assistance from Joblinx
Leading to Work Program
Ranked Top 250 Universities in the world*
Five stars for undergraduate job success**
* Times Higher Education, 2021
** Good Universities Guide 2020
Professor Sandra Harding, BSc (Hons) ANU, MPubAdmin UQ, PhD NCSU, Hon Doc JIU, FACE, FQA, FAICD, FAIM Vice Chancellor and President
“Welcome to James Cook University (JCU). Studying with us guarantees you a world-class education, and opens your eyes to a world of diversity and opportunity.
During your time at JCU you will discover new ideas, issues, people and possibilities. You’ll become part of a community in a truly supportive and encouraging study environment. You will leave with the expertise and intellectual curiosity to make a difference in your chosen profession and community.
Our students are at the heart of JCU. As you explore the website, you will learn more about the courses we offer, and the wonderful array of support services, facilities and career development opportunities you’ll be offered to help you make the most of your time at JCU.
I understand it can be a big step to study so far from home. I invite you to discover more about our university by talking to our staff and students about the learning community we’re so proud to share.”