Print this page
Academic Excellence Scholarship & Bursaries
Academic Excellence Scholarship
The Academic Excellence Scholarship is specifically designed for students enrolled at the James Cook Universtiy Brisbane.
All enrolled students are eligible to compete for the Academic Excellence Scholarship.
Students are measured on GPA score which ranges from a low of 1.0 to a high of 7.0. Your GPA can be found on your academic transcript, this is updated following the official release of results for each trimester.
Scholarship recipients are subject to the following conditions.
- Students who maintain* a GPA of 6.50 or better at the end of each trimester receive a $AU1,000 scholarship which is placed as a credit towards their tuition fee for future subjects.
- Students who maintain* a GPA of 6.0 to 6.49 at the end of each trimester receive a $AU500 scholarship which is placed as a credit towards their tuition fee for future subjects.
- Students who maintain* a GPA of 5.55 to 5.99 at the end of each qualifying trimester receive a $AU250 scholarship which is placed as a credit towards their tuition fee for future subjects.
- The scholarship is measured at the end of each trimester of study excluding a student's first trimester.
- Any student receiving a scholarship in their final trimester will have the relevant amount placed as a credit towards their tuition fee account as per normal practice. To redeem any such monies, a graduate will need to apply to JCU to have any monies showing as credit in their JCU tuition fee account reimbursed.
- The GPA scholarship is only available at JCU Brisbane, and only applicable to students enrolled in approved programs, as per the listed programs in Appendix 1.
- Currently, there is no limit to the number of GPA scholarships granted each trimester. Should JCU Brisbane, in the future, limit the number of such scholarships granted each trimester, then the available GPA scholarship will be granted on academic merit measured by the application of the GPA scale.
- JCU Brisbane reserves the right to adjust or alter the Academic scholarship scheme, with the proviso that a minimum one (1) Trimester notice will be given in writing to the student body.
- Other conditions apply as indicated below.
*The word 'maintain' refers to an ongoing GPA measure located on an academic transcript
Students will not receive a GPA Academic Scholarship under any one or more of the following circumstances:
- Fails to enrol in a full study load of three (3) subjects minimum in qualifying Trimesters.
- Fails to make full payment for ALL enrolled subjects by the advertised fee payment date for each trimester. Fee payment date is advised on the JCU Brisbane website.
- A student is found guilty of "Academic Misconduct" in any subject (e.g. cheating, plagiarism) or program during the period of their enrolment at JCU Brisbane
- A student withdraws prior to the completion of their enrolled course
Appendix - Communication:After the official release of results at the completion of each Trimester the Associate Dean Academic will provide a report listing all qualifying students who achieved/maintained a GPA > 5.55 by category. The list of qualifying students will be publically advertised to students during the next Trimester.
JCU Brisbane may sometimes offer Bursaries to international students enrolled in a full degree program.
All Bursaries will only be paid into a student's JCU Tuition Fee Account against their outstanding balance.
Students awarded these Bursaries should note that they will not be eligible for a Bursary in any one of the following circumstances:
- Failure to make full payment for ALL enrolled subjects by the appointed Tuition Fee Payment date for each trimester. Tuition Fee Payment date is usually two weeks after the commencement of lectures
- Withdrawal from your nominated course (as per the course listed on your Bursary Letter)
- Transfer from your nominated course (as per the course listed on your Bursary Letter) to another program
- Transfer to another JCU campus
- if the student is not enrolled in a full degree program at JCU Brisbane
- if the student is found guilty of "Academic Misconduct" in any subject eg. cheating, plagiarism
- if the student is
- sponsored (other than JCU Brisbane Sponsored)
- on any other type of scholarship program or
- on an exchange program
Appendix - Qualifying programs
- Bachelor of Business including all related Majors (with or without credits)
- Master of Business Administration including related Majors
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Information Technology including related Majors
- All joint Master degrees as combinations of the above single degrees
Note: Students enrolled in single non award subjects or cross-institutional subjects are ineligible.
Full Bursary payments are deposited into the Students Tuition Fee Account in their fourth (4th) Trimester of study.
James Cook University Brisbane reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.